Chris Smith talks to Uthman Badar, Spokesman for Hizb Ut-Tahrir
Chris Smith & Andrew Bolt on Hizb Ut – Tahrir Conference Sydney 4 7 2010
Chris Smith talks to Uthman Badar, Spokesman for Hizb Ut-Tahrir
Chris Smith & Andrew Bolt on Hizb Ut – Tahrir Conference Sydney 4 7 2010
Mahmoud Sanoussi was one of 14 men who gang-raped a young woman 25 times a decade ago.
Although jailed for 11 years, he was paroled last May after showing remorse and admitting his guilt.
But court-ordered drug tests revealed Sanoussi had tested positive to cannabis use four times since October, which led to his freedom being revoked in March.
Appearing via video link from Long Bay jail yesterday, Sanoussi pleaded with the parole authority to give him "one last chance to prove himself''.
He told the authority last week he was prepared to abide by a curfew or wear a surveillance bracelet.
His solicitor Louise Coorey added that her client had also sought work while in custody and had received numerous offers of employment.
Authority Judge Terence Christie ruled he had breached his parole too many times to warrant release for a second time.
The parole board will meet again later in the year to discuss Sanoussi's progress in custody and will determine eligibility for release in March 2011.
Evil Rapist Back on the Street
THE first of the notorious Skaf gang rapists is to be recommended for release from jail next month after receiving a discounted sentence.
Mahmoud Sanoussi was one of 14 men who gang-raped a teenage girl 25 times in western Sydney.
He was jailed for 11 years but is eligible for parole after receiving a discounted sentence because he pleaded guilty and showed remorse.
Sanoussi, 23, appeared via video link at a State Parole Authority hearing on Friday where submissions were made to release him back into the community. The decision was adjourned to next month.
"We've asked for further documents, further material,'' a spokesman said.
The authority will take into account his rehabilitation and his behaviour in prison.
But Sanoussi's possible release has sparked grave concerns from Corrective Services Commissioner Ron Woodham, who has stepped in to try to keep one of the country's worst gang rapists behind bars.
Mr Woodham believes Sanoussi is a risk to society, and is preparing a formal submission to be presented to the NSW State Parole Authority.
Victims groups share his concerns, saying yesterday that Sanoussi's release is too soon.
Sanoussi, aged 15 at the time of the attack, and his brother, Mohammed, were part of the "brutal gang of rapists'' who terrorised a young woman in Sydney in August 2000.
The gang took their victim, Miss C, to a toilet block where Mohammed Skaf asked her if she liked it "Leb style'' before raping her. He left the cubicle and Sanoussi (Mahmoud) came in and raped her.
For the next six hours, Miss C was subjected to multiple rapes and death threats at three isolated locations.
Ringleader Bilal Skaf was sentenced to a record 55 years jail. His sentence was halved on appeal.
Sanoussi was jailed for a maximum 11 years with a six-and-a-half year non-parole period.
NSW Rape Crisis Centre manager Karen Willis said she was concerned about his release.
The victims of the gang rapes would also be in fear.
"It was a vicious, appalling crime,'' Ms Willis said.
"If we are going to release serious sex offenders back into the community, we need to be absolutely sure that they are completely rehabilitated and no one is going to suffer in such a way as their victims did.
"Unless they're absolutely sure, then they can't release him.''
Miss C, who moved overseas, is still recovering from her ordeal.
If granted parole, Mr Woodham has the power to apply to the Supreme Court to keep Sanoussi in jail, following changes to the NSW Serious Sex Offenders Act to allow for continued detention of an offender past their release date "for the safety and protection of the community''.
During the sentence of the Skaf gang rapists, the judge described their crimes as worse than murder.
"These cases concern one of the greatest outrages, in criminal terms, that has been perpetrated on the community in Sydney ... military organised gang rape involving 14 young men,'' Judge Michael Finnane said in 2002.
Sanoussi served part of his sentence in juvenile justice before moving to an adult prison.
The Sunday Telegraph (15-6-2008)
Lebanese Muslim gang leader sentenced to 38 years jail for racially motivated pack-rapes of Australian girls
Anna Marshall 4 August 2006
Bilal Skaf, the leader of a Lebanese gang which perpetrated racially motivated pack-rapes on Australian teenage girls in Sydney in 2000, was last week sentenced to a further term of imprisonment. Added to the the 28 years he is serving for other pack-rapes, his maximum term is 38 years.
His younger brother and accomplice Mohammed was sentenced to 15 years jail. With other sentences he will serve a maximum of 26 years.
To show their disdain for Australian culture and Australian females, gangs of Lebanese Muslims carried out violent, racist pack-rapes on young Australian girls around Sydney in 2000. Over 50 young girls were pack-raped during this rampage.
Bilal Skaf, the leader of one gang organised the pack rape of a sixteen-year-old girl known as Miss D near a soccer field in the Sydney suburb of Gosling on the night of August 12, 2000. Fourteen Lebanese youths-pack raped Miss D that night.
Nine of the men were brought to trial. Skaf made history when he was sentenced to 55 years jail. He appealed, and the conviction was overturned on a technicality. On April 18 this year a jury finds the brothers guilty for the second time.
Justice Michael Finnane who presided over the Skafs' trial, described the assaults, in August 2000, as "one of the greatest outrages in criminal terms that has been perpetrated on the community in Sydney ... militarily organised gang rape involving 14 young men".
"What this trial showed was that he was the leader of the pack, a liar, a bully, a coward, callous and mean," Finnane said of Bilal Skaf. "He is in truth a menace to any civilised society".
Apart from the Skaf brothers, those sentenced on October 11, 2002 following the original trial were:
* Belal Hajeid, aged 20, sentenced to 23 years
* Mahmoud Chami, 20, sentenced to 18 years
* Tayyab Sheikh, 18, sentenced to 15 years
* Mohammed Sanoussi, 18, sentenced to 21 1/4 years
* Mahmoud Sanoussi, 17, sentenced to 11 1/4 years
* 'H', 19, sentenced to 25 years
* Mohamed Ghanem, 19, sentenced to 40 years
Skaf is a weedy little bastard. Over the next 30 years he will most likely get a greater appreciation of the impact of rape.
Web snooping policy shrouded in secrecy
June 17, 2010 - 12:56PM
The federal government is hiding controversial plans to force ISPs to store internet activity of all Australian internet users - regardless of whether they have been suspected of wrongdoing - for law-enforcement agencies to access.
Political opponents and other critics of the scheme have described the draft policy as "alarming" and accused the government of going "on a fishing expedition for as much data on the public as they can get". One ISP executive has described the plan as "a nanny state gone totally insane".
The Attorney-General's Department has been holding consultations with industry about implementing a "data retention regime", similar to that adopted by the European Union after terrorist attacks several years ago.
Reports last week suggested data that ISPs would be required to store included contents of communications such as web browsing history.
Yesterday, a spokesman for Attorney-General Robert McClelland denied web browsing histories would be stored, saying the government was only seeking to identify "parties to a communication", such as senders and receivers of emails and VoIP calls.
However, it is difficult for the public to get a clear picture of the policy because the government has sworn all parties to secrecy.
Peter Coroneos, chief executive of the Internet Industry Association, criticised the government for not being transparent and open with the public about its intentions. Coroneos said he was forbidden by confidentiality agreements from discussing any details of draft proposals he has been provided.
"The decision at this stage to keep the process under wraps is the decision of the government. It's not the decision of the industry," he said in a phone interview.
"We still argue that there be an open and transparent process here."
Greens communications spokesman Scott Ludlam also criticised the lack of transparency, saying in a phone interview he had a researcher investigating the scheme to "try and work out how it fits in to the government's supposed grave concerns and fears about online privacy".
"To me there seems to be some profound contradictions going on there," Senator Ludlam said, adding that the policy "on first glance looks quite alarming".
Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has recently fired barbs at Facebook and Google over privacy failures and their alleged disregard for the sanctity of users' personal information.
Colin Jacobs, spokesman for the online users' lobby group Electronic Frontiers Australia, said the government appeared to be trying to access whatever passes through any ISP in this country, while displaying "no regard whatsoever for our privacy or our civil liberties".
"What has emerged in recent days has been a clear picture of a government on a fishing expedition for as much data on the public as they can get," Jacobs said.
"It's not just a fishing expedition, it's casting a driftnet for the communications of all Australians regardless of whether they have ever been suspected of the slightest wrongdoing.
"Combined with the censorship policy, a pretty unhappy picture is emerging of this government's attitude towards our digital lives."
Some commentators have said the copyright lobby would inevitably try to use the scheme to hunt down and prosecute illegal file sharers, but Sabiene Heindl, head of the music industry's anti-piracy arm, Music Industry Piracy Investigations, said: "We have no present intention to do that."
McClelland's spokesman defended the lack of transparency, saying the government had consulted broadly with industry about the plan but "it would not be appropriate to disclose policy discussions which are the subject of consultations with the industry".
"These consultations have involved identifying the parties to a communication, where and when that communication is made and the communication's duration," the spokesman said.
"It does not include the content of a communication such as people's conversations or contents of an internet banking session, for example."
It is understood that earlier reports that web browsing history would be included were based on earlier drafts of the policy which stipulated content such as this would be logged and stored. The government appears to have since stepped down on this aspect of the scheme, although nothing is set in stone.
ZDNet.com.au, which originally reported that web browsing history would be logged, has stood by its original report, quoting sources yesterday as saying claims that URL history would not be retained were "not accurate".
"The government has not as yet made any decision in relation to a data retention regime. However, any arrangement will strike the appropriate balance between individual privacy, commercial imperatives and community expectations that unlawful behaviour is investigated and prosecuted," McClelland's spokesman said.
Coroneos, who is able to comment more generally on similar data retention regimes adopted by EU states, said the industry in Australia already had a track record of assisting law-enforcement agencies and questions the need for a "blanket" regime covering the communications of all internet users.
"[Users] have legitimate privacy expectations and assume that their online communications and browsing activities are private unless they've been clearly informed otherwise," he said.
"Secondly, there's a question of whether the harm being being addressed is outweighed by the economic or social burden of the measures proposed. Are we cracking a nut with a sledgehammer here?"
Coroneos also raised concerns about security of the information that will be stored by ISPs and the expected high costs of implementing any scheme, which would inevitably be passed on to end users.
So far there have been no reports of Australian’s been required to REGISTER their details with Book / Newspaper / magazine / DVD/ CD/ sellers There are no reports yet of talk back radio stations been required to keep records of callers and the subject of the calls broadcast by them.
If and when these REGISTRATIONS are added to the list of “necessary protection measures” implemented by the Labor Party,Progressives Leftists and Union Officials will assure Australian’s that like their Internet Filtering program to be introduced in a few months,these measures are all for our own good,as any Progressive Leftist, Union Leader,Labor Party member will tell you,Australia’s “Working Family’s” cannot be trusted to know what is good for them to see read or hear.
Compulsory censorship for internet.
Daily Telegraph 29 10 08 Pg. 4
THE Federal Government will make internet censorship compulsory for all Australians and could ban controversial websites on euthanasia and anorexia. Australia's level of net censorship will put it in the same league as China, Cuba, Iran and North Korea.
The Government will not let users opt out of the proposed national internet filter. Broadband, Communications and Digital Economy Minister Stephen Conroy said the Government's $44.2 million internet censorship plan would now include two tiers — one level of mandatory filtering for all Australians and an optional level that will provide a "clean feed", censoring adult material. Despite planning to hold "live trials" before the end of the year, Senator Conroy said it was not known what content the mandatory filter would bar, with euthanasia or proanorexia sites on the chopping block. "We are talking about mandatory blocking, where possible, of illegal material," he said.
'Australia's level of net censorship will put it in the same league as China, Cuba, Iran and North Korea. The Government will not let users opt out of the proposed national internet filter.
Lu Kewen aka. Australian PM “Kevin 07” Rudd
“It’s all about getting the balance right”
Access Denied Pt.1
“The idea that the Internet is this scary place that parents don't understand, that everybody needs protection from, isn't a view that's held by most of society.
What it actually is, is a scary place that politicians don't understand, that politicians need protection from and that's why we're having this debate now.”
Access Denied Pt. 2
Just imagine the left’s reaction to this crisis if G W Bush was the President of the USA at the time. Vince Haley Nails it
Fifty seven days after an oil rig explosion triggered an uncontrolled deep water oil gusher in the Gulf of Mexico, President Obama addressed the nation last night about his administration's efforts to address the crisis.
After offering two short paragraphs to explain what is actually being done to stop the oil leak, President Obama devoted most of his speech to explaining why the oil leak means now is the time to dramatically and permanently raise the cost of gas, diesel, and electricity for every American.
Jay Leno gave voice to the widespread puzzlement people have with Obama's misplaced focus last night: "President Obama said today he is going to use the Gulf disaster to immediately push a new energy bill through Congress. I got an idea ... How about first using the Gulf disaster to fix the Gulf disaster?"
Good question, but we think we know why President Obama is not focused on plugging the oil leak and is instead focused on plugging new energy taxes.
President Obama's Chief of Staff, Rahm Emanuel, said at the start of the Obama presidency that "you never let a crisis go to waste," which we now know means that the Obama team never lets a crisis go without out more borrowing, more taxing, and more spending in support of their political allies. We saw this with the $862 billion stimulus law that didn't create jobs, the ObamaCare law that won't bend the health cost curve down, and now with ObamaEnergy that won't lower energy costs and won't increase energy supplies.
Is this Pelican STILL covered in Oil ? If so Why ?
“Never let a serious crisis go to waste…it’s an opportunity to do things you couldn’t do before” – Rahm Emanuel
April 12, 2009 ·
Using the present crisis as pretext, President Obama is now urging the Senate to pass cap and trade energy taxes. Even though this has nothing to do with plugging the hole, Obama and his liberal allies in Congress want the power to spend billions in new tax revenues through a massive redistribution of wealth from taxpayers to green energy company shareholders.
The Senate is reportedly going to take up a cap and trade energy tax bill shortly after it returns on July 12th. If it passes the Senate, the House will vote on and approve that new tax in a lame duck session after the November elections.
Our opportunity to stop this new energy tax is now, and the next two months will be absolutely critical. These new energy taxes will hurt you and your family with higher gas and electricity costs. They will kill hundreds of thousands of jobs, prevent small business growth, and ship jobs overseas to China and India.
We cannot afford to pass a massive energy tax in this economic recession, but President Obama is more concerned with redistributing wealth than he is in growing new wealth, even if that means destroying jobs in the process. Cutting up a shrinking pie is apparently not a problem if you're the one wielding the knife and giving away the pieces. It's the rest of us that have to worry about the consequences.
Meanwhile, the oil continues to gush under the Gulf waters. Like Jay Leno, Senator Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat, summed up well this President's misplaced priorities: "The climate bill isn't going to stop the oil leak...The first thing you have to do is stop the oil leak."
The President should listen to his friend Senator Feinstein and plug holes, not taxes.
Vice President for Policy