Police discover GoPro with gang rape footage
October 15, 2015,
Four men and a teenage boy have been charged over the gang rape of a 16-year-old girl at a party in Sydney's west after police stumbled across footage on a camera by accident during an operation targeting graffiti offences.
Police said footage of the incident in St Clair in May was uncovered on a GoPro camera that had been seized during a police operation, with the footage showing up to eight men and boys in the room with an allegedly unconscious girl at one time.
A man accused of egging the other males who were allegedly raping the teenage girl told her via text message the following day that "nothing happened", the court heard.
Police will allege the girl who was raped in the 16-minute video asked who the "Kurt person" was, only to be told he had no knowledge of him.
Kurt Stevenson, 24, didn't apply for bail when brought before Penrith Local Court on Thursday morning, facing three charges of aggravated sexual assault in company.
Ayden Devereux, 24, listed his address as his girlfriend's in St Clair, did not appear via video link nor apply for bail. He will face Penrith Court On December 10.
Tristan Carlyle-Watson, 25, was refused bail when he appeared in Penrith Local Court and later charged with concealing a serious indictable offence.
Police Prosecutor Varinder Powers told the court Carlyle-Watson “actively encouraged other co-accused in the deplorable conduct”.
Another co-accused, 23-year-old Andrew Waters, has been charged with aggravated sexual assault in company and aggravated indecent assault in company.
Waters didn't apply for bail and has been ordered to re-appear before Penrith Local Court on the same day as Stevenson.
Police believe the 16-year-old girl's drink had been spiked, according to Detective Acting Superintendent Peter Yeomans, who is Acting
Commander of the NSW Police Force's Child Abuse Squad.
He also told 2GB radio a number of the alleged offenders were married with children.
"These are predominantly adult males in their mid-20s and they're filming a matter like this on a very young ... (and) very slight-framed girl," he said on Thursday.
"These adult males are quite large men - and some of these men are married with children."
Police believe the girl was either unconscious or semi-conscious at the time and the attack - which she did not report - but officers have since made contact and interviewed her.
"It was quite obvious to investigators when viewing this footage that the child was either unconscious or semi-conscious during these assaults," Insp Yeomans said.
"There were a number of reasons why she didn't report the matter - her lack of memory at the time, also her fear of any reprisal."
"I had a number of my investigators looking at this and they were horrified at what they saw in this footage."
"It's horrible. It's terrible what happened to this young girl."
The 17-year-old boy was charged with two counts of aggravated sexual assault in company, attempted aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated indecent assault and resisting police.
Fairfax reports detectives from the Child Abuse Squad were able to locate the alleged victim after pinpointing the location of the party following an investigation into the video.
The female victim is now undergoing counselling.